Wednesday, 11 December 2013

A 5 1/2 minute hard boiled egg

Recently while on holiday, I overheard an elderly man asking a waiter for a hard-boiled egg. It wasn’t that question that caught my attention the most but the next direct requirement that had me stunned. The egg had to be boiled for exactly 5 ½ minutes.  He actually requested that as he sat down at the dining table, crossed his legs and unfolded the newspaper with a little flick, without even a smile or a please added in there for good flavour.
Wow….

With interest I leaned forward waiting for the next specific requirement such as 10 grams of salt, 5 grams of pepper and whatever other condiments might enhance the flavour of that 5 ½ minute boiled egg. Unfortunately that didn’t come.
Really, can we be that fussy that we specify how long something is cooked for down to the seconds?
Isn’t the general guideline for eggs either dippy (runny) or hard?
Perhaps this man has done some scientific testing over the years related to the optimum time it takes to boil an egg related to the best taste, texture and overall output?
If I think about what I’m fussy about in food, I suppose as a child I was a bit of a nightmare. I do recall when we dined out that I’d refuse to eat anything other than sausages and chips. Probably to the detriment of my adult life, because I can’t stand sausages now. However I’d never request specific portion sizes i.e. actual number of chips to be added.
And in adulthood the only thing I won’t eat is stinky fish aka sardines. I wouldn’t think of telling a restaurant to cook my steak for a total of 4 ½ minutes each side, rest for 2 minutes before serving. Steak is either rare, medium or well done.
Have you come across something better than the 5 ½ minute hard-boiled egg request? Do share…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!