Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Mind your manners

Have you ever had one of those days? 

One that starts with pure bad lack and then is exacerbated by the rudeness of people.

Firstly the alarm didn't go off and in your rush to get to the car you trip, rip a ladder in your favourite pair of stockings (among other injuries) and then when you make it to the car, the damn battery is flat. Then in a rush to get to the train (and by now you'll be lucky to get into work by lunchtime), it's peak hour, you're sniffing armpits to ensure you actually get on the train and then an arrogant woman wearing really pointy high heels steps on your toe... ouch! and doesn't even say sorry! The funny thing is, it's the rudeness of this random woman that really gets your back up and you can't stop thinking about it all day. It's only when you're finally back home sipping on a nice glass of wine, with the opportunity to whinge about it to your better half, that you start feeling a bit better.

The other day a friend of mine who is pregnant was telling me how she dreads the trip to and from work at the moment because no one bothers to stand for her. This is a journey which takes about an hour.  Are people really that blind that they can't or perhaps don't want to see someone that needs the seat more than them? I'd like to stick a few big watermelons down their shirts and make them stand there for an hour and see how they like the feel of it.

So this got me thinking about some of my recent run ins with bad manners.

Exhibit No. 1 : Queuing 


On a visit to my local Boots to investigate the purchase of some new foundation, the girl behind the counter was in the process of finishing serving someone.  So I decided to wait and help the time run quickly by looking at the products they had for sale on the counter. In the meantime two others arrived and while we weren't physically lined up in order, it was obvious to all there who was next in line. After finishing serving the current customer the girl behind the counter asked who was next and before I even had the opportunity to say me... the woman at the very end of the line jumped in and immediately preceded to put her order in. She was so quick out the gate that she probably would have beaten Black Caviar to the finish line. To make matters worse she didn't even show the slightest bit of remorse when two sets of shocked and disgusted eyes glared at her. I couldn't even be bothered with it and so just walked off muttering to myself that karma will get her.

Exhibit No. 2 : Child Control

In the same week, I was lining up to get onto the train and felt something kicking the back of my shoe. When I turned around I didn't see anyone until I looked down and there she was. A child of about 6 years old, grinning cheekily up at me and knowing very well that she was being naughty. I looked over at the father who was holding her hand and said excuse me.  All he did was ignore me. He didn't even pull up the child for what she had done. Oh my god, where have the manners gone in this world? Next thing you know the child will be running around the train kicking random strangers, giggling and watching for a reaction. And all the while the father is staring blankly out the window with complete disinterest. Actually he would probably be on his blackberry doing business emails!  

Perhaps the father (and a lot of others) should read this very old manual of etiquette. I'll reference page 20 where it states "be polite, respectful and modest to all". 

And I love this quote, "Never go up and down stairs, or about the house, with the speed of a trotting horse and the tread of an elephant ; step lightly, quickly, and orderly." Now that's never going to happen but the book does make interesting reading.



Exhibit No.3 : Awareness of those around you

Whenever I walk through a door that I have to push or pull open I will check to see if anyone is coming in behind me and hold it open for them. On a number of occasions that I've done this I have received quite a surprised look from the recipient as well as a pleasant thankyou. However I have been on the receiving end of a door slamming shut because individuals aimlessly wander and roam the streets without any thought or care for those around them. Thank god I've got quick reflexes else I would have been knocked out by now.

Personally I don't think the experience of bad manners is just a Blighty one, it's happening all over the world. 

But am I alone in thinking that manners are deteriorating in this world? Or do people just not care anymore?  

The constant excuse is that everyone is busy. But how can you be to busy to notice a hot flustered pregnant woman standing next to you on a train, or an old man struggling to open a door by himself, or that someone has fallen and needs some help.  

Do you find yourself frustrated by the lack of manners? I'd be interested to hear if you've had any experiences like mine.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!