Tuesday, 14 May 2013

The Good and Bad of Zurich

A recent trip to Switzerland reminded me that when you're travelling you have to be ready for all experiences, both good and bad. It can't always be good. And more importantly, you can't let the bad be the reason to not get out and go exploring

So let's start with the bad in Zurich.

Bad experience 1 : Getting lost in the train station.
On arrival at Zurich central train station, not only did I have to fight the millions of people trying to make their way around and out of the train station, I couldn't work out where the hell to go. The place is bigger than Adelaide mall and all the department stores put together. So after a very frustrating half an hour, I finally found my way out. Sunshine is a beautiful thing!

Bad experience 2 : Being catapulted to one side by a very rude woman. 
I was in her way, however 'excuse me' was obviously not in her vocabulary as she shoved me and proceeded to bear down on further victims that were in her way.

Bad experience 3 : Nearly being run over. 
While taking a pedestrian crossing at which one car had stopped for me, I was about to step through the inner lane when a car driven at full speed by a Gucci, Prada clad woman decked in a VW nearly took me out. She saw me as I made eye contact with her. However, she obviously didn't find it necessary to give way to a pedestrian at a pedestrian crossing.

Bad experience 4 : Being talked down to.
Do you know that part of Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts tries to go shopping to buy a decent outfit. I know how she feels. And I wasn't even wearing thigh high black boots and a mini skirt (although after this I did feel like decking myself out in it and going back to see how she'd react). Anyway back to the story.  I was trying to get a massage and the hotel had recommended the shopping centre called Globus. I found the beauty therapy area and a woman approached me to ask if I needed help. When I asked if I could get a massage she looked me up and down and said "We're all booked out today". When I asked if there would be any appointments further in the week "We're completely booked out all week". I then asked for a recommendation on somewhere else and she said "I don't know anywhere else". Needless to say I walked off disgusted and decided to just head back to my hotel for some peace.

So these experiences happened in the first 4 hours of arriving in Zurich and I suppose you're wondering if it got better? Thankfully yes, so let me share the good in Zurich.

Good experience 1 : A birthday surprise from the Renaissance Hotel.
On arriving back to the hotel room following my bad experiences, I found a nice piece of chocolate cake decorated with fresh berries and a neat Happy Birthday written on the plate in chocolate. Alongside that was a card signed by the hotel staff. It didn't last long! A definite way to brighten someones day so thankyou Renaissance.



Good experience 2 : Having Happy Birthday sung to me by H's work team and enjoying a glass of my favourite champagne.
I was lucky to be invited along to a dinner in which I not only got to experience a really nice meal with nice wine, but got a surprise at the end of the evening with a glass of Moet while listening to the team sing me Happy Birthday. Thankyou for a wonderful evening!

Cooking our meat on the table BBQ

Good experience 3 : Trying some traditional Swiss food.
You definately have to try Fondue in Switzerland. It's not for the faint hearted or those with cholesterol problems and if you have a sensitive nose then you probably won't like the smell, however it's fun to try.



Good experience 4 : Exploring the old town in Zurich.
Just a 5 minute walk from the craziness of the main train station and shopping strip, you can find yourself lost in the maze of windy cobblestone roads in the old town. Much quieter and some lovely old buildings to admire.

Good experience 5 : The unique cafes and shopping.
I think I only saw one or two Starbucks in Zurich which was a pleasant surprise. There are some great little cafes and unique stores selling goods you only find in Zurich. The best coffee I found was in a cafe called Hiltl set up in a flower store.

Hiltl in Zurich
Overall Switzerland is a lovely country. It's clean, portrays a healthy lifestyle (never saw an overweight person) and the people are friendly (most of the time). One downside is its very expensive but all in all, I can't wait to go back and explore more if I get the opportunity.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!