Zug is a quaint little town in Switzerland that sits on the
edge of a lake and snow capped mountains. It’s not far from Zurich and quite easy to reach via train direct from the airport train station.
We’re here this
week because my husband has work commitments. I’m the lucky one though; not
only do I get to spend the evenings with my husband, but I also get the days to
do the tourist thing and go exploring.
So let me tell you a bit about my first day in Zug.
After the 6:00 am alarm, for the benefit of my husband, I find
myself curling up and going back to sleep for another hour. Unfortunately
that’s as long as I can sleep in, as I’m excited to get outside in the emerging
sunshine and go exploring.
 |
| The Hotel Lowen : Where we stayed |
Our hotel is located in the Landsgemeindeplatz within the
old town of Zug. It’s only when I pull open the curtains, I realise how nice a
spot we are in. Our room up on the 3rd floor has a little balcony from where I can see a cobblestone square surrounded by little cafes and
restaurants. On the other side I can see Lake Zug with views of the
mountains in the distance. It’s beautiful.
 |
| Someone lost their cheese! |
A few steps from the entrance of our hotel and past the
rather large piece of cheese sticking out a pastry shop window (yes a little
bit odd), I find a bird aviary. At first I’m captivated by a really large white
owl who just sits there blinking his rather big eyes at me every now and then,
probably wandering what the hell I’m looking at. It’s then that I see my
favourite ... the Aussie Kookaburra.
Two in fact. Both looking a little well fed
and most obviously used to sitting in the spot they’re in. It’s almost cruel to
see them cooped up here unable to have the freedom they’re brothers and sisters
have back home, but for me it’s a rather nice sight to see something from home
all the way over here in a small little town called Zug.
Next it’s the cobblestone paths and shuttered windows that
call me to explore the old part of town. Starting along the Fischmarkt I wander
along taking in the most beautiful old buildings such as The Clock Tower (Zytturm)
and The Town Hall (Rathaus) and just getting lost.
It’s during my exploration of the old town that I have
another Aussie experience. Out of the corner of my eye I see what I think is
Aboriginal art. Not completely sure, I wander into the art gallery and sure
enough it is! I get chatting to the exhibitor who proceeds to tell me that she
and her daughter travel to Australia regularly and visit the artists some of
who include paintings by Dorothy Napangardi and Betty Mbitjana. Beautiful
paintings.
 |
| Lake Zug |
 |
| Lake Zug |
Then following a walk along Lake Zug, I head to the Zug
Bahnhof and catch the Number 11 bus to Schonegg. From there I take the
funicular up Mount Zugerberg.
Unfortunately the hiking brochure isn’t in English, so I just pick a
path and walk. 2 hours of utter bliss. Endless
green fields, hills scattered with daisies, woods, wildflowers, views over the
valleys and lakes, a random hiker here and there, outdoor bbqs scattered along
the way and ultimately just pure pure peace and tranquillity. Writing this now I wish I was back there.
 |
| View of Zug from Mount Zugerberg |
 |
| Animals carved in wood along the trail |
 |
| One of the views on the walk |
 |
| The hills are alive.... |
On the way back, I get off just after the Casino Theatre stop
as it’s the closest one to the hotel. Wandering back through the old town roads, I
find a nice quiet spot along the lake and enjoy a well deserved sandwich and
cappuccino.
I thoroughly recommend Zug as a place to visit if you’re
ever in Switzerland.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!