Friday, 9 August 2013

A Baby Shower at The Tea Cup

As I sit here awaiting news of a the pending arrival of a friends new baby boy, I thought I'd tell you about the baby shower.
The Tea Cup is set down a narrow cobblestone lane way called Brewers Lane off of Richmond High Street, and is just one of a few boutique shops on the way towards Richmond Green. It's a rather quaint and traditional tea house where tea is served in an eclectic mix of unmatched crockery. I’d love to know where the pieces came from, perhaps saved from potential demise at a local garage sale or car boot. 
The owner who usually appears relaxed, was on this day, a little perplexed by the some 20 plus females that overwhelmed his little shop. Instead of a gaggle of geese he had a gaggle (quite literally) of women. While he had one helper, he was constantly running around and continuously mopping his brow in an almost Fawlty Towers – Manuel manner. Thankfully nothing ended up on any of our laps and Basil wasn’t running through yelling ‘Fire… Fire… Fire’.
My contribution to this event, other than trying to win a game of baby bingo (it is tradition to play games at these events), was some specially designed baby shower cupcakes;
My new personalised stamps - getting the business ready!
 To end today's blog i thought I'd delve into some history and research how the traditional high tea came about? After googling I found out the following;
 Anna, the 7th Duchess of Bedford introduced the pot of tea and snack in the afternoon. Apparently she was known for complaining of getting a ‘sinking feeling’ mid afternoon. I think in modern terms that might be the mid afternoon chocolate craving.  Whilst back in Anna’s day it may have had something to do with the fact they typically only had two main meals a day, I’m not sure what excuse we can offer in modern times. Anyway back to the story, Anna started to invite her friends to these 'afternoon snacks' and gradually the practice extended and became popular amongst fashionable society. It then extended to hotels. 
 Well back to my cup of tea and dreaming of scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!