Friday, 12 October 2012

My first attempt at Wedding Cake

If anyone has been through the experience of organising a wedding, or going through as I am, you will know that whenever you mention the 'W' word the price increases dramatically.

So in my attempt to try and save costs where possible, I wanted to try and make a wedding cake.

Of course a massive wedding cake is a little different from the usual cupcakes that I make, so firstly I had to do some research via google. Thankfully I found some really good sites and a couple are worth mentioning;

  • http://www.designer-cakes.com/ is a scottish guy that has a number of free online courses and a range of great looking cakes.
  • http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/ ...and one day when I'm working I'll be able to afford to do one of this lady's cake courses. Absolutely amazing! And great tips in the blog comments.

I decided to try a lemon Madiera cake. Not the easiest thing to make as I've mentioned in my previous blog, however when I did get the courage to cut it into 3 layers it actually looked quite good. 

Next step was the lemon curd buttercream that I smothered in between.
Layered Madiera Cake with Buttercream




















I could have stayed with the buttercream to do the outside, however I wanted to try a white chocolate ganache.
Now with the White Chocolate Ganache




















And then was the fondant icing. Damn hard to work with when you have a tiny kitchen and a rolling pin that's not big enough.
Now with the Fondant




















Next step was the fun bit... making it pretty. I stuck to the flower decoration as I'd like them flowing down the tiers if I end up doing this for my wedding.


  

















Of course that isn't the final step... Taste Test.
Yum


















The fact that H has gone back a few times for more cake must mean it's ok. I wasn't particularly happy with the fondant as I couldn't get it looking all nice and smooth like the professional ones, but let's see I may just have to make my own wedding cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!