As it's now dawn in Australia (25th April), today's post is dedicated to ANZAC day.
In honour of all the Australian and New Zealand soldiers past and present.
I will never forget my travel experience to Gallipoli to experience the ANZAC dawn service, so today I hope you will enjoy a little of that experience from way back in 2006.
When you wander down the beach at Anzac Cove it's not what you expect. I'm used to wide sandy beaches and this one is narrow, almost non-existent. Hugging the beach other than the ocean, are steep cliffs. As you look up at them, you can understand why so many lost their lives in those first few minutes as they disembarked from the boats.
Scattered randomly around the area are small grave yards, white head stones that glare beneath the sunlight offering the visitor a poignant reminder of why we are here. As you walk past them you can't help but become emotional as you see the young ages (some of these lads were only 15) of these men who died for us.
Wrapped up in my sleeping bag amongst the crowd of Aussies and Kiwis, it's freezing cold, dark, but sleep never comes. We sit, some silent, others talking and waiting for the hour closer to dawn.
Movement up on stage is a trigger to roll up the sleeping bag and move closer to the stage and the upcoming remembrance ceremony. I stand among hundreds.
As the first glimmer of dawn comes across the ocean and gently makes it's way toward us, and in the silence of the morning, the sole bugle player begins playing The Last Post.
You cannot help but be caught up in the emotion. I hear sniffles of all those around me and find myself wiping away tears.
As I look around I see them. The ANZACs. They're standing among us. Young fresh faces, decked out in their dapper kharki uniforms and slouch hats, and all the while retaining that larrikin look, perhaps it's that cheeky grin, that we know so well. Faces that are proud that we still come here and will never never forget.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."
In honour of all the Australian and New Zealand soldiers past and present.
![]() |
| The lone pine |
I will never forget my travel experience to Gallipoli to experience the ANZAC dawn service, so today I hope you will enjoy a little of that experience from way back in 2006.
When you wander down the beach at Anzac Cove it's not what you expect. I'm used to wide sandy beaches and this one is narrow, almost non-existent. Hugging the beach other than the ocean, are steep cliffs. As you look up at them, you can understand why so many lost their lives in those first few minutes as they disembarked from the boats.
Scattered randomly around the area are small grave yards, white head stones that glare beneath the sunlight offering the visitor a poignant reminder of why we are here. As you walk past them you can't help but become emotional as you see the young ages (some of these lads were only 15) of these men who died for us.
Wrapped up in my sleeping bag amongst the crowd of Aussies and Kiwis, it's freezing cold, dark, but sleep never comes. We sit, some silent, others talking and waiting for the hour closer to dawn.
Movement up on stage is a trigger to roll up the sleeping bag and move closer to the stage and the upcoming remembrance ceremony. I stand among hundreds.
As the first glimmer of dawn comes across the ocean and gently makes it's way toward us, and in the silence of the morning, the sole bugle player begins playing The Last Post.
You cannot help but be caught up in the emotion. I hear sniffles of all those around me and find myself wiping away tears.
As I look around I see them. The ANZACs. They're standing among us. Young fresh faces, decked out in their dapper kharki uniforms and slouch hats, and all the while retaining that larrikin look, perhaps it's that cheeky grin, that we know so well. Faces that are proud that we still come here and will never never forget.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!