A few days in the area of Dordogne, South West France is the
best way to escape the hustle and bustle of London.
The added bonus is you will not find McDonalds, Costa or
Starbucks or any other chain store that frequents every street in London. Instead relax in unique french cafes with a café au lait and croissant then watch the world go by.
Having only ever been to Paris and Nice, I was quite excited to have the opportunity to not only visit the french countryside, but catch up with a familiar face, a friend from Oz in such a beautiful location.
 |
| Where I stayed... |
The area of Dordogne could be described as untouched, pretty, quaint and like stepping back in time. It's almost like the modern world hasn't quite reached it, until you look closer and see that hidden amongst the buildings are modern shops sporting post offices, tourist information centres and alike.
 |
| A view of the Dordogne Valley from Domme |
I flew direct to Brive from London City Airport. Having only ever travelled from Heathrow, Gatwick or Stanstead I can say I was pleasantly surprised by this quiet city airport. It certainly lacks the chaos that the other airports have and if you're heading off to relax somewhere it's a good starting point. Air France was another surprise with good customer service, much more than what British Airways would offer on an afternoon flight.
With only 4 days to see the area it was a bit of a whirlwind tour, however it gave me insight into where I'd go when I have more time. Travelling through towns such as Domme, Sarlat, Rocamadour I also had the opportunity to see the Gouffre de Padirac which is the biggest cave I've ever been to. It has a diameter of 35 metres and a depth of 75 metres and once you descend you can explore the base not only on foot but in small boats as they take you along the underground river. It was amazing!
Below are a few photos from the trip.
 |
| The market square in Sarlat |
 |
| Montfort |
 |
| A gorgeous old house... not far from where I stayed |
 |
| Collonges la Rouge. Foie gras is the specialty in this region. |
 |
| I'm now on a diet |
au revoir!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!