Saturday, 5 October 2013

An escape to France

In the South West of France in August the bright yellow sunflowers are in full bloom.  Scattered amongst the lush green fields, some filled with ripening corn, they grab your interest immediately and you just want to stop the car and run out to take photographs. Unfortunately the narrow windy roads negate the ability to stop at those opportune moments so you have to settle for winding down the window, driving quite slowly and snapping as you go.

Yes... one of those happy snaps from the car
We decided to drive to France.  

Unfortunately we had timed our departure with the Friday of a bank holiday weekend. Some four hours later (the usual journey one and a half hours) we arrived in Folkestone ready for our train journey.  I thought I was used to traffic until I came to Blighty. I've never seen anything like that in my life, the jam went for miles and we were stuck there stationery for ages. Thankfully we had a fully stocked car and eventually got there in the end.

Our first night in France (other than the brief stopover in a town near Calais which isn't worth mentioning) was in Chinon at a hotel called Le Plantagenet. Located in the south-west of the Touraine region, Chinon is most famous for where the future Charles VII sought refuge and where in 1429 Joan of Arc came to acknowledge him. While we only had one night there we timed it well with markets and what looked like a harvest festival.


Joan of Arc Place, just near our hotel
Joan of Arc statue
One of the many decorations for the harvest festival
Part of the harvest festival

Next we headed to the Loire valley where we decided to go see some Chateaux's. With so many options, we kept it to two...the Chateau D'Azay-le-Rideau - also known as the 'jewel of Renaissance architecture' and Chateau de Chenonceau. I can't add more to the descriptions other than just say the photo's are what really do them justice (see below). 


Chateau D'Azay-le-Rideau
Chateau D'Azay-le-Rideau
One of the grand fireplaces in the Chateau D'Azay-le-Rideau
The Indre river 
A gorgeous little cottage on the grounds of the Chateau de Chenonceau
Chateau de Chenonceau
Chateau de Chenonceau
Staying locally in the Loire valley, we found our own Chateau, the Chateau de Jallanges near Vouvray. And for those people that have asked or are going to ask... no it wasn't haunted.
Our welcome to the Chateau de Jallanges


The Chateau de Jallanges. 
Driving further South West we found ourselves in the Lot region. And for the rest of the week we stayed in a lovely country house near a town called Montcuq. In between relaxing in the clean and peaceful countryside, a long way away from traffic jams in Blighty, we found time to check out some of the local wineries such as the 500 year old Chateau Lagrezette. I would definately recommend visiting this winery, they were extremely helpful and had a great selection of wines.

Chateau Lagrezette
This beautiful Chateau sits just near the winery


I do like France and I like the fact these places in Europe are so close to. A little tip for those of you trying out France for the first time, take a phrase book because the French certainly don't like to speak english.

Now I'm off to the gym to try and work off some more of those croissants I over indulged in.
Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!