Tuesday, 1 October 2013

My First Red Velvet Cake

Red Velvet cake is as it sounds, a lusciously moist deep red cake layered with a cream cheese icing. 




Are you hungry yet?

I found this recipe in one of the cake magazines I've been collecting (picture below).   The base was quite easy, it uses a lot of red colouring so make sure you have a good quality one else you'll be pouring the whole thing into your cake. The other tip... have enough cake tins so you don't have to re-use them and re-line each time. Thankfully I had three 10 inch cake tins handy.


The icing was something I've seen while perusing the local cake shops. It is time consuming but very effective .My tips... crumb coat your cake and create a smooth base before you start. Use disposable piping bags and just trim the tip off the end until you get the right size. 

To get this effect you need to pipe large dots up the cake and alternate the colours by one. Using a clean palate knife smooth out one side of the dot and make sure you clean your knife as you go.


Now what to do with the rest of the cake.... Might have to take it into work.

Happy baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!