Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Boat Rides or Roller Coasters?

I once thought that Roller Coasters were scary. 


I have a particularly vivid recollection of being persuaded to try one out at a local fun park while on holiday.  And whilst my stomach was doing somersaults of nerves prior to the experience, I was near complete and utter collapse by the time it was finished. 


Meanwhile my friends managed to get lovely snaps of them at the peak of the ride smiling and waving at the camera, mine showed a face of complete fear.  Actually it looked like something from a horror movie, hence the reason I never bought it.


So this brings me onto another quite different experience and something that has a sense of peace and romance about it, which is sailing along the coast of Italy. Well it can be peaceful, however sailing also has the possibility to turn out much like a Roller Coaster.

Easing our way into the weekend of sailing we were greeted by a beautifully warm 29 degrees, a little cloud and calm vividly blue seas. Some lovely italian food and wine along the way, swimming in the bay amongst the local fish and sunbaking on board. It couldn't get better. That was until we had to sail back to port. 


Now whilst I have to admit that I am not the best sailor and resort to qwells regularly where water is involved, having to sail over 10 foot waves for nearly 2 hours has to be placed in the same file as Roller Coasters and hence is not something I wish to subject myself to willingly in the near future. So for the purpose of imagery picture this, a boat lurching up and down massive waves, some breaking over the bow and completely drenching us. While I was told it was safe, I still had a life jacket on and my hands were clenched to two different positions holding on for dear life. All I could do was was stare out into the distance so as to try to control the sea sickness that was trying its best to fight the maximum dosage of qwells I had taken. I didn't relax until we had reached port and I had my feet firmly planted on solid ground - thank god I survived.


As for the next holiday... preferably no sailing and perhaps a hike!


The Sailing Boat




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!