I don't think there is any question that our fellow Poms were very proud last night by what was a fantastic opening ceremony. I felt very privileged to be amongst it and soak up the atmosphere.
Arriving at Hyde Park we were greeted by a mass security screening. It took about an hour to get to the front of the line and then it was an airport type check. I guess that's why we've been told to arrive at events well in advance of them starting.
The park was decked out with sponsors, large screens, merchandise and catering stalls. After an hour in the line we went straight for a drink!
Pushing our way towards the mosh pit we didn't quite get there, however were close enough to enjoy Duran Duran when they made it on stage.
When the opening ceremony kicked off the crowd went absolutely wild. Brits, Aussies and all nationalities carrying their flags over their shoulders screamed in support.
We saw the red arrows fly past smoking out red, white and blue.
I won't go through the whole opening ceremony as I'm sure by now you've read the news or even seen the repeats on television. But I have to mention my favourite bit....James Bond aka Daniel Craig, the Queen and her corgies. There was utters of 'no that can't be the queen', 'is that really the queen' and when full realisation hit that it really was, the crowd just went off.
In between the ceremony we had Stereophonics and then Snow Patrol. I missed the Aussies arrive into the stadium as the band was playing but caught up on that this morning.
One other point of note or question is where was Wenlock the mascot in the whole ceremony, unless I missed an important bit I didn't see it anywhere?!
It took us a good two hours to get home. Sitting on the bus one of the nurses from the NHS piece of the ceremony was chatting to an Aussie telling her about the experience. Apparently all the people in the NHS performance were actual NHS staff who have spent every weekend since April and after work hours rehearsing.
We are now sitting on the comfy couch relaxing before the bike race reaches Kingston in a couple hours. Go Aussie Go!
Arriving at Hyde Park we were greeted by a mass security screening. It took about an hour to get to the front of the line and then it was an airport type check. I guess that's why we've been told to arrive at events well in advance of them starting.
![]() |
| Arriving at Hyde Park (with some randoms) |
The park was decked out with sponsors, large screens, merchandise and catering stalls. After an hour in the line we went straight for a drink!
Pushing our way towards the mosh pit we didn't quite get there, however were close enough to enjoy Duran Duran when they made it on stage.
When the opening ceremony kicked off the crowd went absolutely wild. Brits, Aussies and all nationalities carrying their flags over their shoulders screamed in support.
We saw the red arrows fly past smoking out red, white and blue.
![]() |
| Remnants of the Red Arrows |
I won't go through the whole opening ceremony as I'm sure by now you've read the news or even seen the repeats on television. But I have to mention my favourite bit....James Bond aka Daniel Craig, the Queen and her corgies. There was utters of 'no that can't be the queen', 'is that really the queen' and when full realisation hit that it really was, the crowd just went off.
In between the ceremony we had Stereophonics and then Snow Patrol. I missed the Aussies arrive into the stadium as the band was playing but caught up on that this morning.
One other point of note or question is where was Wenlock the mascot in the whole ceremony, unless I missed an important bit I didn't see it anywhere?!
![]() |
| Duran Duran |
It took us a good two hours to get home. Sitting on the bus one of the nurses from the NHS piece of the ceremony was chatting to an Aussie telling her about the experience. Apparently all the people in the NHS performance were actual NHS staff who have spent every weekend since April and after work hours rehearsing.
We are now sitting on the comfy couch relaxing before the bike race reaches Kingston in a couple hours. Go Aussie Go!
![]() |





No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!