Sunshine tickles my face at a very early 6am this morning.
It’s going to be a warm day as I can feel it in the air.
A cloudless vivid blue fills the sky and in the distance I see a
slight smoggy haze, remnants of the urban environment.
Semi-naked people sunbake along the banks of the Thames. Motor boats pass with women in bikini’s
sitting atop of the bows, showing off their fake tans. Bike riders pedal past
and families pushing prams wander along, kids skipping, laughing and jostling
one another. Mothers yell at them to stay close.
Ducks and swans swim along the banks hoping for a feed.
People walk past complaining of the heat. I overhear one
conversation, a woman is moaning that it’s too hot to walk the dog and that she
had to get up at 6am to take him for a walk. Oh dear!
An awesome foursome rows past, past being the operative word
as on closer investigation they look in their 70’s; fit old buggers.
A boat, the Tilbury Hope rests waiting perhaps hoping for customers so it
can cruise along the Thames, I dare say the skipper won’t mind if no one turns
up as he is stretched out relaxing in the sunshine, a cigarette smouldering in
one hand. I know he’s awake as every now and then the hand moves and he inhales
the cigarette, a deep inhalation as if it’s the last one of the day.
I’ve found a hidden gem of a cafe; its plain and simple not
fancy like the high street ones. It’s essentially a small shed, hidden from the
main road by trees and can only be found if you dare to walk further than the
local high street shops. It caters for the essentials coffee and ice cream and
today I opt for the coffee, perhaps an ice cream later.
Sitting here I’m reminded of a hot summer’s day in Oz only
there is no gum tree to sit under and escape the searing heat, its willows and ash
trees. Plus it’s not really searing hot as it’s not quite 40 just a mere 31. No
need to escape to the cinema or shopping mall for some air conditioning but a
day to escape and sit near the banks of the Thames and soak in the atmosphere.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!