One of the items on my ‘to do’ list has been volunteering work.
Since I cannot legally work in the country I can at least contribute to society
by doing something worthwhile (or try to).
One of my fellow gym buddies recommended a homeless shelter
in nearby Richmond called The Vineyard Community Centre which I dropped in to today
to attend an afternoon tea for volunteers.
If you’re not aware Richmond is quite a posh area and I
think the opening sentence on the Visit Richmond website summarises it ‘swimmingly’
as the posh people say... “Welcome
to London's most attractive borough, which for hundreds of years has been a
favourite retreat of Royalty, the rich and the famous.”
The bus ride to it from Kingston takes you through a very
scenic road of green pastures, cobble stone roads and enormously large houses. You
also cannot miss the well manicured polo ground. I must say, it does seem odd going to
Richmond to visit a homeless shelter and meanwhile the average resident
probably earns well above the median wage in the UK and drives the latest
Mercedes, BMW or Ferrari.
However, getting back to the topic at hand, the centre
itself is located within the basement of a local church. It’s recently been
renovated so looks more like a local cafe than what its real purpose is for. It opens out onto a terrace with a large
cottage garden. It’s open for its
residents so they can drop in, have a shower, get some food and relax in the
atmosphere. If you’re interested in
knowing more you can visit their website at http://www.vineyardcommunity.org/
.
I met a number of different people, mainly volunteers who
devote a lot of their time either working in the charity shop, in the cafe or
in the garden amongst other things. One old lady in her 70’s looks after the
vegie patch which apparently this year has not done very well due to the
weather. Another very welcoming volunteer happily gave me a run down on some of
the residents and who to avoid.
![]() |
| The cupcakes I baked for the Afternoon Tea. One person thought they were from Waitrose! |


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!