Have you ever had one of those days that you feel like
you’re repeating yourself but never getting anywhere?
I can sympathise after my visit to the Post Office today.
For some reason the man behind the counter could not understand what a post-it-note
was. After consistently repeating myself
I gave up.
This has happened before. The other week I asked for a Flat White in a
coffee shop and the woman looked at me blankly. I did repeat myself until I had
to describe to her what I wanted; a coffee with milk please. I thought I was
asking for something that does not exist in the UK until I visited another
coffee shop and carefully scrutinised the menu; yes there was an item called a
Flat White!
I wonder how many other Brits don’t understand what I’m saying.
Next time I might have to try ‘G’day mate, I’ve just arrived from woop woop,
can i have a cuppa and a bickie?’ Their mouths will probably drop in amazement.
When I was at the health shop the other day the shop
assistant was Eastern European and she was so pleased to hear me pronounce
Vitamin as V’ite’amin and not V’it’amin, that we ended up having a conversation
about it.
This has got me thinking about all the different words and pronunciation
differences between nationalities.
Pronunciation
Differences
Australian British
D’a’nce D’aa’nce
V’ite’amin V’it’
amin
Ac’quat’ic Ac’qat’ic
(think quack and take the ‘qua’)
M’awl’ Mall
(think of the blokes name Al)
Different Words
Australian British
Eggplant Aubergine
Fridge Refrigerator
Vacuum Hoover
Doona Duvet
Capsicum Pepper
SR Flour Self
Raising Flour
Snow Peas Mange
Tout (sounds like a disease!)
Zucchini Courgette
Before I came here I’d never heard of Bunting either, I
actually thought it might be a type of sport but no it’s actually a string of
triangular colourful flags.
I think I might keep adding to this list... if there are any
pronunciations’ or word differences you can think of let me know?!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!