On a gloriously rainy Saturday in Blighty (I have to put a positive on it), I'm thinking about date night tonight which is down at the local new Bavarian bar and wishing that I could find a nice Aussie wine to drink.
Unfortunately its impossible.
While I enjoy living here, what is really disappointing in Blighty is the lack of good quality Australian wine.
Bentalls used to stock Bird in the Hand sparkling which was a bit of a novelty. Not from the Barossa unfortunately, but still a good summer sparkling.
In Waitrose I will walk through the bottle shop area just to see if they have any new Australian wines. Typically though its the standard Jacobs Creek, Yalumba, Hardys or Wolf Blass. I usually walk away disappointed.
Perhaps I've been spoilt by living in the Barossa Valley where I had the best variety and quality of wine at my finger tips and not just the mainstream ones.
For wine on a summers evening I could pop down to Rockfords and purchase some Alicante Bouchet or a bottle of The Willows sparkling shiraz. During winter a hearty bottle of Henshke or Hentley Farm shiraz. Then there is Tscharkes. I've never gotten through the whole wine tasting list, but I have taken a few people to this spot and they absolutely love it.
If you can't have it you can dream about it...
For those of you sitting at home in the Barossa, can you please make sure we have a sparkling shiraz to drink when I get home!
Unfortunately its impossible.
While I enjoy living here, what is really disappointing in Blighty is the lack of good quality Australian wine.
Bentalls used to stock Bird in the Hand sparkling which was a bit of a novelty. Not from the Barossa unfortunately, but still a good summer sparkling.
In Waitrose I will walk through the bottle shop area just to see if they have any new Australian wines. Typically though its the standard Jacobs Creek, Yalumba, Hardys or Wolf Blass. I usually walk away disappointed.
Perhaps I've been spoilt by living in the Barossa Valley where I had the best variety and quality of wine at my finger tips and not just the mainstream ones.
For wine on a summers evening I could pop down to Rockfords and purchase some Alicante Bouchet or a bottle of The Willows sparkling shiraz. During winter a hearty bottle of Henshke or Hentley Farm shiraz. Then there is Tscharkes. I've never gotten through the whole wine tasting list, but I have taken a few people to this spot and they absolutely love it.
If you can't have it you can dream about it...
For those of you sitting at home in the Barossa, can you please make sure we have a sparkling shiraz to drink when I get home!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!