Let me firstly clarify, it hasn't been the hottest day ever, just the hottest day for 2012.
And the top temperature... 32.4 degrees in Cavendish, Suffolk.
While I would typically balk that this temperature could actually reach the 'hot' classification, by actually experiencing it I can say that for Blighty it is 'hot'. Weather is typically wet and cold over here so houses and businesses alike are not well equipped with air conditioners like we get in Oz. And if you have the added pleasure of travelling on the tube or bus, then you're more likely to experience something like a sauna. Just imagine the smell of hot sweaty bodies rushing home on the tube after 5pm on a week day. It is not something anyone looks forward to.
While in Oz we either escape to the cinema or shopping centres for some respite from the heat, most people over here sunbake in local parks or sit along the Thames drinking pints at local pubs. The shopping centre air conditioning isn't quite to Oz standards.
Thankfully its late evening and the cool breeze has started giving us some relief in our non-air conditioned apartment. Actually its quite pleasant sitting on the balcony amongst our little garden eating fish and chips and having a glass of wine. Sorry I know its winter back in Oz but you can rub it in when you're enjoying those bright blue sky days I love so much.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!