Thursday, 2 August 2012

Weightlifting

If there was one sport you'd really like to see at the Olympics, what would it be? 

I can't say I'd choose weightlifting.  If I had the choice it would be swimming, but we were lucky enough to actually get some tickets and you just have to go to whatever you possibly can when its the Olympics.

We watched the weightlifting in the ExCel stadium. The buzz and atmosphere was amazing, particularly when the Brit hit the floor. It was nice that everyone cheered on all the other countries, unlike the Lithuanian vs Nigerian basketball match we watched in a pub in central London where there was actual boo's, ended up going for the Nigerians! 

And yes as you probably have seen in the news there were a lot of spare seats. 

So we watched the snatch and then the clean and jerk. Meanwhile as the weight gradually increased we watched their eyeballs almost bulge out and veins pop as they struggled to lift the weight.

Before I share some pictures of the event here are some Olympic weightlifting facts to top yourself up for the next quiz night... Weightlifting featured at the first Olympic Games in 1896, it had a number of absences in the games in the early 1900s, joined the Olympic program for good at Antwerp in 1920. Women's events were added in 2000.

The Weightlifting area
The contenders

Gareth Evans the Brit contender

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!