Monday, 13 August 2012

Olympics hangover


Today Britain is sporting an Olympics hangover.

Over the past two weeks our days have been entirely consumed with sport. On the street, television, radio, conversation. I've even resorted to Twitter... don't tell anyone!

Talk on the street today was about the closing ceremony and how wonderful it was.  There were comments at the gym that not since war time have we seen people so engaged and talking to one another. 

Someone else mentioned thank goodness Paul McCartney didn't sing. There was a resounding consensus from everyone with this statement.

While I enjoyed the closing ceremony, I have to make one point that annoyed me. They didn’t show all the countries athletes but focused only on the British and a couple other nations. What about the Commonwealth!?

Over the past week, I have been asked numerous times 'what has happened to Australia, they used to be really good athletes'?   I would have to agree. I think we have to congratulate our athletes for what they did achieve, but seriously what has happened to our once well regarded sporting nation? 

One article in Australia suggests too many of our good coaches have been allowed to go to other countries. In another article it mentioned that NSW are dropping funding for sailing and yet this was an area which actually got us some gold medals. What is going on?!

I also haven’t heard or seen the Ranga (Australia’s excuse for a Prime Minister) at all during the Olympics. Actually I never saw or heard anything from her during the Queens Jubilee celebrations either. Is she actually still our Prime Minister or have we moved up in species?

Regardless of the performance of our athletes or prime ministers, the hangover is well and truly here. Thankfully we have a week to get over it before the Paralympics kicks off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!