Friday, 7 September 2012

A bike ride to Richmond

What's the best thing to do on a gloriously sunny 25 degree day? A bike ride of course. 

This time I decided to go along the Kingston to Richmond route which takes you through Canbury Gardens, Teddington Lock, Ham Fields and into Petersham Meadows. Of course when you're out and about in Blighty you can't escape the history. 













As I cycled this route I stopped and took a number of photos. I caught sight of the white house across the river (third photo above). Amazingly I found it online.  

It's called Marble Hill House, and it's a Palladian villa set in about 66 acres of parklands. If you have no idea what 'Palladian' is like I didn't, try google. By the way, it's a type of architecture.

Apparently Marble Hill was built for a woman described as 'the remarkable Henrietta Howard', mistress of King George II when he was Prince of Wales, and friend and confidante of some of the cleverest men in England. Mmmm if you're a friend and confidante of numerous men could that be interpreted as something further?



  










The two photos to the right above, are the last stop just before Richmond, the Petersham Meadows. It took me about half an hour one way but that was stopping quite regularly to take photo's and enjoy the scenery.


Ham House


On the way back I did a detour past Ham House which is described as one of Europes greatest examples of 17th Century houses. I didn't go in this time but when I have more time I will. Ham House is said to be the vision of Elizabeth Murray, Countess of Dysart who was deeply embroiled in the politics of the English Civil war and subsequent restoration of the monarchy.

See it's amazing what you can find when you go out exploring! Bit different from a bike ride in Oz which I'd still love, but for a whole load of different reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!