Friday, 28 September 2012

Shopping in Chennai

Tuk Tuks and motorbikes fight against the cars to surge forward through the overloaded roads. Pedestrians wait patiently for a small break in traffic and when they see it, hold their hand up and sedately walk across. 


Read the messages on this Tuk Tuk
Old men squat by the side of the road, it's that old yoga pose that I can't do again. 

Beggars tap on the car windows holding babies and pleading for food.

Street food stalls scattered along the roads are full with customers eating their finest dhal.

Police assist the traffic lights, but I never do see a green light as the traffic surges forward. The locals peer in through the car window intrigued by this white, blonde haired girl that sits in the car.

At this stage if I was new to India I would probably be freaking out, but I've been here before and while there are many things that frustrate me about India, today I sit back and just enjoy. We will get to my destination in all good time.

Where might you ask am I headed. Shopping of course.. and today I wanted to check out the silk shops. As usual, the driver had to take me past his recommended shop, I did get slightly worried when I was led down some stairs through a cellar where people were working. But not to worry...it was just a shop.

When I arrived at the real destination (which was T. Nagar for those of you interested) there was a mass of different silk shops. Groups of women were shopping together, some with henna painted hands and obviously seeking the shops finest wedding sarees. 

I have never seen such a huge range of fabrics, it is such a treasure chest. If I had an overwhelming mass of money I could buy up.  I tried a beautiful wedding saree and the shop assistant wrapped it around me. Had it not been 24,000 rupees I probably would have bought it. It did start some conversation around the shop floor... 'look at that white girl there'. I could just imagine the talk.  By the way if you convert the rupee its about 230 pounds. You certainly have to be sure it's the right one if you're going to spend that.

What was particularly annoying is that the shops wouldn't barter and kept telling me they were fixed price. Yet I'm sure I saw a man bartering... 

I didn't come back to the hotel loaded with shopping bags but it was a nice afternoon out. I will do some further investigation of what I actually should be paying for a saree!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!