Friday, 21 September 2012

What will today be famous for?

On my way to the gym this morning I found out what today will be famous for. 

Any ideas?

The new Apple iPhone was released. 

Of course, other than the Generation Y's and Techies you may find something else that today is famous for. 

Lined up in the Kingston Bentalls centre this morning were around 200+ people. Apparently a number of them had camped out since 4am. What I can't understand is why do you need the new phone today? Why can't it wait till next week or next month? What is the big deal?

It's not as if a phone is a new invention revolutionising our communication methods. Newsflash people - phones have been around for a while now!

And from what I read about the new iPhone there are no major new functionalities - it can't teleport you to the other side of the world. If it did that, then I would have been there lining up with them at 4am!

Perhaps they do it so they can tell all their friends they have it. A measure of status. If that is the case then how sad. Shouldn't life be measured by our experiences and the people in them than material goods. 

As you might expect by the time you have read to this sentence.. I will not be buying the latest iPhone.

1 comment:

  1. Materialism is the most important thing to generation Y sadly...traditional values will be seen as a rarity in years to come..I'm with you a phone is a phone..right back to my iPhone scrabble

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!