Sunday, 30 September 2012

Brain Fry

Restaurant Menu
I've heard of people suffering a Brain Fry or is that Brain Freeze? However I never would have suspected people would willing subject themselves to eating it!

This was on our menu last night, but there was no way I was going to eat it.  The normal vegetarian curry was perfectly fine and we didn't wake up with a dodgy tummy thankfully.

That let me have another outing today during which I visited a new hotel in Chennai called the Grand Chola. It has only just opened and much of it is still being completed. The marble and carvings remind me of the Taj Mahal while the stair case which greets you as you walk through the front doors reminds me of the Titanic. Wandering around we found a few bars and restaurants that are opened, gate crashed a product debut up on the first floor (quickly exited) and then enjoyed a coffee and cake in the cafe.


The Grand Chola Chennai
Before we left, I couldn't resist a photo with the doorman...don't you just love his moustache!


At the Grand Chola
On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a saree shop which was one recommended by a local. This time I purchased some beautiful fabric at a decent price. Since I had someone knowledgeable on sarees with me, I ordered the top to be made and the edges to be sewn, so I get to pick it up tomorrow. What I have learnt about sarees is you can now get them made so you don't have to wrap them, just slip it on and you're ready to go!


The Saree material
Another detour before we got back was a gold shop. As you may know gold is a big status symbol over here. Three floors later and we walked out empty handed, however I was certainly impressed by the variety of gold in there.

I tried to get a few photos on the way home from the car, unfortunately I missed a perfect opportunity - a group of people standing on top of a moving bus driving down a main road. It wouldn't have wanted to suddenly stop!

Weekend tomorrow and I get to do some tourist bits with H at last. 

More soon from our break in India...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a message!